ELIGIBILITY & CRITERIA
The Mahindra Excellence in Theatre Awards and Festival will be held in March 2023 in New Delhi.
The Theatre productions will be staged at Kamani Auditorium or Shri Ram Centre for Performing Arts.
The Festival Secretariat invites entries for Emerging and Established Theatre in the following categories:
- Best Play
- Best Director
- Best Stage Design
- Best Lighting Design
- Best Innovative Sound Design
- Best Costume Design
- Best Choreography
- Best Actor in a Lead Role - Male
- Best Actor in a Lead Role - Female
- Best Actor in a Supporting Role – Male
- Best Actor in a Supporting Role – Female
- Best Original Script
- Lifetime Achievement Award
Theatre productions may be verbal or non-verbal and may include physical theatre, puppetry, multi-media and dance.
The award consists of a specially designed trophy and a cheque.
The META Secretariat invites theatre groups, individuals, playwrights and critics to submit their production or recommend a production for META 2023.
Entries will be accepted from the 25th October 2022 to 31st January 2023, for the 18th edition of the Festival.
A Selection Committee comprising of eminent personalities from the field of performing arts will carefully select 10 plays that will finally be staged in Delhi.
Nominations will be announced on our website on 10th February 2023.
Theatre productions must meet the following criteria in order to be eligible for the awards:
- The play must be produced in India.
- Plays must have been produced in the period 1st January 2018 to 31st January 2023
- Plays must have been staged from 1st January 2020 to 31st January 2023.
- Plays can be in any Indian language or can be non-verbal.
- There is no restriction on the number of entries by a single applicant.
- There is no restriction on the duration of the play.
- Plays can be adaptations of the work of any Indian or International playwright
- Plays can be original scripts from Indian Playwrights.
- The Director/Writer/Producer must have copyrights for adaptation/ use of existing music/ visual effects etc
- Inspired productions must compulsorily credit the work they are adapted and evolved from.
- Only original scripts will be eligible for the Best Original Script Award.
- A play received by the Secretariat in any of the previous years will be considered an invalid application and will get disqualified from the selections.
- All plays must be video recorded in a suitable environment where all theatre aspects are visible and audible, for e.g. Stage, sets, lights, costumes, sound etc. Videos of rehearsals in a rehearsal space will not be accepted.
- Full length plays must be recorded and submitted through the Application Form made available on the Official META Website.
- The Link of the video of the play can be shared with us through the dedicated field in the application form.
- Applicants can share the video link by uploading their plays on Google Drive/ YouTube/ WeTrasfer/ Vimeo or any other online method.
- All the parts of the production must be sent to the Secretariat in the Application itself. Incomplete plays shall disqualified.
- Excerpts and trailers will not be accepted.
- Plays must be submitted in their original language along with line-by-line subtitles (in case of languages other than Hindi or English)
- There is no application fee required for submission.
- Post the selection of the 10 plays shortlisted to be showcased during the festival; The cost of shipping the set, travel by AC II and III Tier Sleeper, boarding and lodging, venue cost and any additional technical requirement along with a nominal staging fee will be paid for by the Award Secretariat.
- The travel and accommodation facilities may vary as per the discretion of the organiser based on the size of groups travelling and the number of individuals in each group.
- In cases of copyright infringement, whether local or international, the submitting producer shall be held directly responsible. The Festival Secretariat will not be held liable.
- Should a theatre company not be in a position to afford a recording to send their application in META, they may apply for funding up to Rs.4000 in order to record the production and send the entry to META.
- All such requests should be sent via email on email@example.com, along with the invoice of video recording and bank details. The Festival Secretariat shall reimburse the invoice amount or Rs.4000; whichever is less post the festival is over in March 2023.
- All plays in languages other than Hindi or English, if selected, will be staged with subtitles. Line by line subtitles has to be provided by the producer.
In the event that the production is nominated for the Festival, groups will be invited to stage the play in New Delhi as part of the Mahindra Excellence in Theatre Awards and Festival.The dates for the festival are 23rd – 28th March 2023.
The schedule as decided by the Secretariat will not be influenced by the availability of a production to perform on any specific date of the Festival.
Applicants are requested to be aware of the Festival dates and shall make themselves available in case of selection.
Nominees in each award category are expected to attend the Award Ceremony compulsorily in the formal attire.
10 Selected plays will have to perform a 1- minute excerpt from their play at the awards night ceremony in their respective costumes.Application 2023